Problem with Studio 4.3.0.0 Windows 2003 Terminal Server an Print Spooler
Rudolf Bargholz
2010-01-08 12:31:06 UTC
Hi,

We are having problems with Omnis Studio 4.3.0.0 running on a Windows 2003 x64 Terminal Server with regard to the print spooler.

1) We start the omnis.exe (no library)
2) Omnis seems to hang, but after about four minutes Studio resumes a normal active state
3) Any process that accesses printer information, e.g. Page Setup, will hang Omnis for about four minutes, then resume normal processing.
4) We can manually start our Studio application library. Again, Studio hangs for a couple of minutes.
5) After a couple of minutes Studio resumes normal processing.
6) Printing to screen again takes four minutes.
7) After waiting for four minutes I can successfully print to the printer.

If I start our app and wait until all the timeouts have happened, I am able to successfully print in our app using Omnis Studio.

While Omnis hangs the rundll32.exe takes up a lot of resources. This DLL is associated with the spoolsv.exe (Windows Print Spooler). This correlates to the information above that accessing printer functions in Studio hangs Omnis for a couple of minutes.

If I stop the Print Spooler, the problem no longer occurs and Studio starts normally and functions normally, but of course printing fails.

Other applications running on the server start normally and do not seem to call the spoolsv.exe. Printing from other applications is no problem.

Starting Studio in a console as the administrator does not show any problems. I can start Studio normally and print normally.

I have removed all printers from this server except the "Microsoft XPS Printer".

I am guessing this is some sort of permission problem, but have no idea where to look at the moment and have already spent a couple of days trying to get this constellation up and running for one of our customers, to no avail. Currently we are setting up a Windows 2003 x32 Server to test in this constellation.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rudolf Bargholz
Maurizio Vico
2010-01-08 13:33:03 UTC
In the past I had this kind of problem...
Omnis hang several time, at the start and sometimes also executing line
code.
I was working in Studio development.
After times, I discovered the problem was the recent libraries list that
Omnis Development store.
There was a library in the list, that was in a neth path like
\\192.x.x.x\... This library didn't exist
Deleting this from the list the problem was solved.

I had also problem similar to your, but I can't say that the problem was
about operating system.
I think some dialog problems between Omnis Studio and printer driver.

Regards

Maurizio Vico

Rudolf Bargholz
2010-01-08 14:17:12 UTC
Hi Maurizio,

Can't be the libs, as this is a runtime, and no libraries are being loaded, other than the standard Studio runtime libs. Just opening the omnis.exe of Studio is causing the problem.

Regards

Rudolf

Maurizio Vico
Maurizio Vico

Keith Bartlett
2010-01-08 13:38:05 UTC
Hi Rudolf

I don't think it's the OS causing the problem. We have sites running 2003 R2 with SP2 with no problems. Printer drivers is a good place to start.

Cheers
Keith

On 8 Jan 2010, at 11:31, Rudolf Bargholz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are having problems with Omnis Studio 4.3.0.0 running on a Windows 2003 x64 Terminal Server with regard to the print spooler.
>
> 1) We start the omnis.exe (no library)
> 2) Omnis seems to hang, but after about four minutes Studio resumes a normal active state
> 3) Any process that accesses printer information, e.g. Page Setup, will hang Omnis for about four minutes, then resume normal processing.
> 4) We can manually start our Studio application library. Again, Studio hangs for a couple of minutes.
> 5) After a couple of minutes Studio resumes normal processing.
> 6) Printing to screen again takes four minutes.
> 7) After waiting for four minutes I can successfully print to the printer.
>
> If I start our app and wait until all the timeouts have happened, I am able to successfully print in our app using Omnis Studio.
>
> While Omnis hangs the rundll32.exe takes up a lot of resources. This DLL is associated with the spoolsv.exe (Windows Print Spooler). This correlates to the information above that accessing printer functions in Studio hangs Omnis for a couple of minutes.
>
> If I stop the Print Spooler, the problem no longer occurs and Studio starts normally and functions normally, but of course printing fails.
>
> Other applications running on the server start normally and do not seem to call the spoolsv.exe. Printing from other applications is no problem.
>
> Starting Studio in a console as the administrator does not show any problems. I can start Studio normally and print normally.
>
> I have removed all printers from this server except the "Microsoft XPS Printer".
>
> I am guessing this is some sort of permission problem, but have no idea where to look at the moment and have already spent a couple of days trying to get this constellation up and running for one of our customers, to no avail. Currently we are setting up a Windows 2003 x32 Server to test in this constellation.
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Rudolf Bargholz

Keith Bartlett
Adnet Ltd - (0)1491 642133
www.adnetltd.co.uk

This message contains information from Adnet Ltd which may be privileged
or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this mail is
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us
immediately and then delete this mail from your system.
Rudolf Bargholz
2010-01-08 14:15:30 UTC
Hi Keith,

Problem is, I have removed all printer drivers other than the "Microsoft XPS Driver". Not just printer links drivers are deleted but also the driver files, and the problem still occurs.

We have many sites running this setup successfully as well, which does not seem to impress the customer though :-) First time I have had this kind of problem.

Regards

Rudolf Bargholz
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Januar 2010 13:37
An: OmnisDev List - English

Keith
Keith Bartlett
2010-01-08 14:30:09 UTC
Hi Rudolf

Very strange.... The only other time I've experienced delays when printing is if there is a bad mismatch between the printer configuration stored on the layout and the actual printer selected. But as you've not even loaded a library it's not that.

Sorry can't think of anything else at the moment.

Cheers
Keith

sethpaien
2010-01-08 15:23:08 UTC
Hi,

I very don't know, but there's a file called "pstemp.ps" in omnis path, it
should be (by is name) used for report printing.
Maybe a file permission problem with it should hang omnis.

That's all hoping, but who know...

Andy Hilton
2010-01-08 16:14:13 UTC
Keith

I think you are closest at this point !

My guess is that Omnis will have some internal 'preference' to do with a stored printer setup, and even when starting the app, this default is causing a hang when trying to locate the equivalent printer setup in Windows....or something like that - which simply carries on hanging whenever there is a print type operation going on - remember that old chestnut which still occurs where Omnis tells you that the default printer has changed ? I mean who cares, but it is a pain for web versions of Omnis in particular as you can't see that they are trying to tell you something !! I don't know what causes that either but I would be prepared to bet large that they are all tied up to the same root cause - and this has been an issue with Omnis for decades going back to Classic days too....

I think the clever boys at Mitford would do well to dig deep into the core and find out what that printing part is doing as clearly it is an issue that Omnis has carried for a very long time.....

Andy

sethpaien
2010-01-08 16:35:36 UTC
Hi,

For the Omnis telling you that the default printer has changed, you can
change this behaviour using :

Calculate $root.$prefs.$printernotify as kPrtNoteAuto (or kPrtNoteMsg or
kPrtNoteNoMsg)

Andy Hilton
2010-01-08 16:45:06 UTC
Woo hoo - thanks for that snippet - very useful !!

Brian O'Sullivan
2010-01-08 16:55:57 UTC
sethpaien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the Omnis telling you that the default printer has changed, you can
> change this behaviour using :
>
> Calculate $root.$prefs.$printernotify as kPrtNoteAuto (or kPrtNoteMsg or
> kPrtNoteNoMsg)
Unfortunately, though, this requires code to execute from a library.
When opening Omnis (dev) without a library under TS, I often get
prompted about the default printer changing, and sometimes our runtime
users still get the prompt because there is sometimes a delay between
the time that the Omnis.exe starts and the library finally loads. Never
seen a delay as long as Rudolf describes, but have definitely seen
similar scenarios on a smaller timescale. I agree with Andy - would
really like to know why Omnis.exe needs to gather printing-preference
info as the executable starts up, and even more so would like to be able
to tell it to defer that until the first time a user actually prints.
Michael Mantkowski
2010-01-08 17:07:41 UTC
Hmmm, I always assumed that it was my library causing crashes and delays
when picking up printer information.

I never suspected that Omnis itself was also doing some of this.

That might explain a few "unexplainable" problems over the years.

Michael

Michael Mantkowski
ClienTrax Software
1-800-416-2815

Alain Stouder
2010-01-08 17:32:14 UTC
checking the default printer should be an omnis command and omnis.exe
should not automatically check that upon startup.

---
Learn something new everyday!

Andy Hilton
2010-02-23 17:04:32 UTC
All

Where the below tip from Kelly/TL Germany works brilliantly, I am wondering if it could be expanded to prevent the 'Default Printer has changed' message too in Dev mode (or RT for that matter - I know the lib command works but as stated sometimes the lib has not run yet !) ??

Would anyone know if that is either possible or what command to add ????

Andy

Geir Fjærli
2010-02-23 17:31:42 UTC
An old customer of mine has bought a new MacBook Pro. (If I understood him correctly.) He has an old 7.37 application that he has developed himself, and now he asked if he can run it on the Mac side. (He also has Windows installed on VMWare.) I have to admit that I do not know the answer to this. Will Snow Leopard run classic applications in any kind of emulation mode, and if so, is there anything you have to do to make it work?

Also, was the Omnis 7 developer kit serialnumbers cross platform, or will he need a different one for the Mac version?

TIA,
Geir :)
Andy Hilton
2010-02-23 17:36:05 UTC
Geir

The only way you could run this would be on the Windows side of the mac.....

Mac Classic (OS9) stopped under OSX quite a few moons ago :)

Andy

jma
2010-02-23 17:39:33 UTC
Hi Geir,

In snow Leopard, the only solution is to run O7 inside Windows/VMWare (there is an alternative solution, I forget its name that can run classic under SL but I think its quite exotic...)

As far as I remenber, serials for 0737 are cross platform

Cheers

JM

Le 23 f?vr. 2010 ? 17:31, Geir Fj?rli a ?crit :

Alain Stouder
2010-02-23 18:10:55 UTC
I think it is called Sheepshaver, the Mac OS 9 emulator for Macintel.
Not sure if it prints or works for multiusers.

---

todd aron, senior developer, software development
2010-02-23 18:54:45 UTC
altho i like vmWARE, other virtualization apps for os x are parallels
and the free virtualbox
<http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/>. i'd run w2k for
years on my 1st gen MBP w/1.5G, and performance was acceptable.

if the client is going from mac to windows, tho, there may be some
tweaks to window objects, should he go the virtualization w/ windows
route. my gut feeling is that those windows will be UUUUUUGGGGLLEEEEEE.

within the last couple of years, someone has had both omnis 3 (NOT omnis
____STUDIO___ 3) and one of the more recent omnis (7?) up w/
Sheepshaver; he sent a screenshot w/ both omnis apps but i'm unable to
find it. it was pre-snow leopard, tho; 10.6 broke some stuff, and if
memory serves, sheepshaver install was more involved than just an
installer.

<http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/24/need-to-run-classic-under-snow-leopard-sheepshaver-can-do-that/>

we didn't talk about file access or multiuser or any of that, but
perhaps this guy is going to run it single user w/ any datafile on his
laptop, and that will reduce complications.

caveats aside, it would be interesting to see if it runs. please share!

On 2/23/2010 12:11 PM, Alain Stouder wrote:
> I think it is called Sheepshaver, the Mac OS 9 emulator for Macintel.
> Not sure if it prints or works for multiusers.
>
> ---
> Learn something new everyday!
>
> On 23 f?vr. 2010, at 17:39, jma <***@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi Geir,
>>
>> In snow Leopard, the only solution is to run O7 inside Windows/VMWare
>> (there is an alternative solution, I forget its name that can run
>> classic under SL but I think its quite exotic...)
>>
>> As far as I remenber, serials for 0737 are cross platform
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> JM
>>

>> Le 23 f?vr. 2010 ? 17:31, Geir Fj?rli a ?crit :
>>

>>> An old customer of mine has bought a new MacBook Pro. (If I
>>> understood him correctly.) He has an old 7.37 application that he has
>>> developed himself, and now he asked if he can run it on the Mac side.
>>> (He also has Windows installed on VMWare.) I have to admit that I do
>>> not know the answer to this. Will Snow Leopard run classic
>>> applications in any kind of emulation mode, and if so, is there
>>> anything you have to do to make it work?
>>>
>>> Also, was the Omnis 7 developer kit serialnumbers cross platform, or
>>> will he need a different one for the Mac version?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Geir :)_____________________________________________________________

be well,
todd
x106

todd ARON p 718.482.4206
Competitrack f 718.482.4286
36-36 33rd st, suite 501 <***@competitrack.com>
long island city, NY 11106 <http://www.competitrack.com/>

-= Jonna Lea =-
<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30811748&l=039c01f396&id=1427923354>
<http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2043422&id=1427923354&l=e408eeee57>
<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30833205&l=e795f020fc&id=1427923354>

-= recommended tools =-
diff tool: WinMerge
images: irfanview, faststone, and paintDotNet
text editor: Notepad++, EditPad Pro

moi:
<http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2015465&id=1427923354&l=b7c6a>

fun:
<http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/paintball-turret/overview.aspx>
<http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/16/meet-the-disintegrator-24-barrels-of-rubber-band-minigun-madnes/>

<http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/22/nerf-dart-gun-hacked-into-pulverizing-chaingun/>

<http://www.kevincyr.net/index.php?/project/camper-bike/>
Mike Matthews
2010-02-23 21:22:02 UTC
But this is a rubbish approach, very unstable. Use either Parallels
or VM Ware for Mac. I use Parallels just fine, not the fastest way,
but does all I want it to.

On another hijack thread, I have tried WINE for Studio, this project
allows you to run Windows .EXE on a Mac. Sort of ok, but the graphics
redraw a little odd, but gave up on it with that. You have to make a
bottle (environment) for each X386 application, tedious, but when all
done should show promise.

Mike Matthews
Managing Director
Lineal Software Solutions Ltd

Authorised Apple Reseller, Omnis Business Partner

Tel: 01271 850 550

Email: ***@lineal.co.uk

Web: www.lineal.co.uk

Geir Fjærli
2010-02-24 11:17:41 UTC
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I suspected this was the case. I have advised the customer to install on the Windows side.

Geir :)

Mark Phillips
2010-02-24 05:03:34 UTC
On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Geir Fj?rli wrote:

> An old customer of mine has bought a new MacBook Pro. (If I
> understood him correctly.) He has an old 7.37 application that he
> has developed himself, and now he asked if he can run it on the Mac
> side. (He also has Windows installed on VMWare.) I have to admit
> that I do not know the answer to this. Will Snow Leopard run classic
> applications in any kind of emulation mode, and if so, is there
> anything you have to do to make it work?
>
> Also, was the Omnis 7 developer kit serialnumbers cross platform,
> or will he need a different one for the Mac version?

I have clients that use Parallels with good results. I use VMware
Fusion, and it is pretty good in my opinion. As Todd mentions, running
a app designed for Mac OS may look rather odd, or worse, in Windows,
but you are familiar with all of that.

hth,

- Mark

definition, not smart enough to debug it."
-- Brian W. Kernighan
todd aron, senior developer, software development
2010-02-24 19:17:38 UTC
Geir,

It ***seems*** the serial #s are cross-platform; my o7v3.7 uses one that
starts w/ c7ds###. didn't platform-specific previous incarnations have a
"m" or "w" for the platform in the first 4 characters?

If your customer goes the windows route, s/he is more than welcome to
some o7 routines I have that standardize all windows in a library. Its
not all that sophisticated a thing, so you'll still have to tweak
special cases, but it takes the drudgery out of the most of it. It
doesn't do reports, but it wouldn't be difficult to extend it to do that.

If memory serves, there is a bug in that it misses one table object
type, but it sets most of the fonts and sizes for about everything else
to a standard (slot 7 in the font table, but that can be adjusted) and
window colors to the OS-set display scheme.

By the by... no love for Sun's VirtualBox?

On 2/23/2010 11:03 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Geir Fj?rli wrote:
>
>> An old customer of mine has bought a new MacBook Pro. (If I understood
>> him correctly.) He has an old 7.37 application that he has developed
>> himself, and now he asked if he can run it on the Mac side. (He also
>> has Windows installed on VMWare.) I have to admit that I do not know
>> the answer to this. Will Snow Leopard run classic applications in any
>> kind of emulation mode, and if so, is there anything you have to do to
>> make it work?
>>
>> Also, was the Omnis 7 developer kit serialnumbers cross platform, or
>> will he need a different one for the Mac version?
>
> I have clients that use Parallels with good results. I use VMware
> Fusion, and it is pretty good in my opinion. As Todd mentions, running a
> app designed for Mac OS may look rather odd, or worse, in Windows, but
> you are familiar with all of that.
>
> hth,
>
> - Mark
>
> Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
> Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
> definition, not smart enough to debug it."
> -- Brian W. Kernighan

be well,
todd
x106

todd ARON p 718.482.4206
Competitrack f 718.482.4286
36-36 33rd st, suite 501 <***@competitrack.com>
long island city, NY 11106 <http://www.competitrack.com/>

-= Jonna Lea =-
<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30811748&l=039c01f396&id=1427923354>
<http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2043422&id=1427923354&l=e408eeee57>
<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30833205&l=e795f020fc&id=1427923354>

-= recommended tools =-
diff tool: WinMerge
images: irfanview, faststone, and paintDotNet
text editor: Notepad++, EditPad Pro

-= win sys tools =-
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/092208-50-tools-to-speed-up.html>
*** the first one i happened upon worked wonders: Advanced SystemCare

Keith Bartlett
2010-01-08 17:02:45 UTC
Hi Andy

Yup, printing can be a real PITA. Maybe one day, Studio 12, perhaps :)

Keith

John Hosmer
2010-01-09 04:20:01 UTC
We have seen this happen occasionally, and there was not one particular
consistent fix.

1. anti virus scanning problem

2. a backup process locking a file

3. server not updated to latest patches

4. print driver updates, or incompatible drivers, 32 bit on 64 bit, or visa
versa

5. permissions/access rights not set properly.

Trial and error finally resolved the problems

I will try to get more details if you still need them.

john

19:35:00
Rudolf Bargholz
2010-01-09 06:51:19 UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for this.

1. anti virus scanning problem
No antivirus installed

2. a backup process locking a file
Clean server without any backup

3. server not updated to latest patches
Up to date

4. print driver updates, or incompatible drivers, 32 bit on 64 bit, or visa
Versa
Only one printer driver installed on the server, and deactivated client printer mapping. And I made sure the driver left on the server is a 64 bit driver.

5. permissions/access rights not set properly.
This is my guess. The strange thing is, if we log in as the original administrator, the problems go away, but if we log in as a domain admin the problem can be reproduced. But where to go from there, that is a bit of a problem.

Regards

Rudolf Bargholz
Keith Bartlett
2010-01-09 11:04:05 UTC
Hi Rudolf

DNS settings? It's not trolling round the net looking for printers by any chance?

Cheers
Keith

Keith Bartlett - Adnet Ltd
Tel: 01491 642133 www.adnetltd.co.uk
Sent from my BlackBerry? wireless device

Rudolf Bargholz
2010-01-09 11:42:26 UTC
Hi Keith,

Would the DNS settings react differently according to user privileges? But this is something I will look into on Monday. Thanks!

Regards

Rudolf

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Keith Bartlett